SUBJECT OF THIS CONTEST
OLD HOUSES OF OUR CITY
This contest is held in connection with MADRAS DAY 2013 (Aug.22 is the Day), which celebrates our city. The contest encourages city school students to explore Chennai’s history and heritage and present the subject in multi-media form.
GUIDELINES FOR THE PROJECT:
Students must first locate a old house ( tiled or Madras terrace house or a bungalow) which is over 60 years old in your area. The house must be a residence.
The team must record the location and ownership history of this house.
It must photograph all the unique and key features of its architecture, inner spaces and vintage properties used by its residents.
It must gather details about these unique features ( roof and walls, rooms and open spaces, etc) and list the purposes they serve to its residents.
RULES FOR THIS CONTEST:
– The contest is open to school children studying in classes 8 to 12.
– A school can send only one team. Each team MUST have 3 members and all
3 members must take turns to make the presentation. ( No substitutes please!)
– Once you have located the house for study, please call the organiser Ms. Revathi R at 98405 44629 and get the project approved and team members registered (you must do so before you set out to work on it)
– Back at your desk put the project together with photos and the main points in the Power Point presentation capsule and explanation notes written on sheets of paper. (do not dump all info / text into the PP capsule).
– At the contest, your team of 3 students will take turns at the mike to present the project using the PP. You can use your notes for reference as your speak.
– The presentation in PowerPoint on the approved theme will have to be done by all the three participants. It can be done in English or in Thamizh.
– The duration of the complete presentation – PowerPoint and Oral – should not exceed 10 minutes. Participants should be prepared to answer questions of the judge/s.
– Use of the standard design templates in MS Office is only permitted. DO NOT download templates from the Internet.
– On the day of Contest, the team must bring a copy of the CD to the venue of the contest and get it checked ( before 9 am). We advise you to carry your project as a backup digital copy.
– The organisers will provide a PC and a projector at the venue for your presentation.
– This Contest is open to the first 20 school teams to register on first come serve basis.
– The contest will take place on Aug. 20 from 9 am to 3 pm with a 30 mins. lunch break at about 12.30 pm. ( you must bring your lunch)
– Venue: Srinivasa Sastri Hall, Luz, Mylapore.
– The best THREE presentations will be awarded TROPHIES, gifts and certificates.
All participants will be given certificates. Prizes will be awarded on the same day at about 4 pm. Prizes will be awarded based on quality of research / presentation of pictures-visuals / presentation style.
This annual contest is organised by MYLAPORE TIMES – The Neighbourhood Newspaper.
Venue sponsor: South Indian National Association & Ranade Library Luz.